How can we help?
(248) 602-2799

Michigan OWI Bicycle or Other Non-Motorized Vehicle

Question: Can I get an OWI on a bicycle, skateboard, or other non-motorized vehicle in Michigan?

Answer: The answer is probably not, but the right term is not “motorized.” The Michigan statute defines a vehicle as something that is “self-propelled.” So at least in theory, if a bicycle or skateboard was self-propelled, which at some level would mean motorized, then you could be found to be in violation of the law by operating while intoxicated. But, if it’s not self-propelled, meaning your own body movement is required either because you’re kicking a skateboard or you’re peddling a bike, that would not be a vehicle, and would therefore not fall under the prohibition of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. So the answer would be no.